Friday 4 June 2021

Dunain Hill (Inverness)

 1 June 2021

Participants: Just me

Where: Dunain Hill (Inverness), 289m/947', P 60m, Tump, OS 26, NH 625 432

My first "away" trip for many months. I chose Inverness as I had one Tump to do there plus I wanted to visit the Tump and historical tower in nearby Forres. My train got in to Inverness early afternoon so there was plenty time to do the Dunain Hill walk.....

Dunain Hill can be seen from most parts of Inverness and is easily recognisable by the masts on its summit. Here seen from Inverness castle.....


I started at the duck pond at the top of Foresters Way. On entering the forest, I was greeted by this odd collection.....

It was simply a case of following a wide track. Mainly shut in by the trees, there were occasional views as the track zig-zagged up the steep hillside and passed an area cleared for power lines. The view down was to the south west part of the city.....

The trig was not the top.....

Neither were the pylons.....

The high point was past the pylons where there were a number of mounds. I thought that this one was the highest, it looked as though there was a bit of a cairn.....

Going back down, there was a view to part of the Black Isle.....

Part way down Forester Way, I joined the Great Glen Way which passed the side of the new Nature Scotland building and continued as a path all the way to the Tomnahurich lock over the Caledonian Canal, which was helpfully just along from where I was staying! A view back from part way down the path.....

and a view of the hill later in the evening.....



No comments: