Sunday 6 June 2021

Cluny Hill- Nelson's Tower (Forres)

 2 June, 2021

Participants: Just me

Where: Cluny Hill- Nelson's Tower, 77m/253', P 38m, Tump, OS 27, NJ 044 590

This Tump was of interest mainly for the tower that stands on its summit. I took the train to Forres and walked along the main street to Grant Park, which lies below the hill.




There was a broad track up.....


The tower at the summit- Nelson's Tower- was built by public subscription in the period 1806 to 1812 as a memorial to Admiral Lord Nelson. A twenty-one gun salute was fired at the opening ceremony from guns said to have been with Nelson's fleet at the battle of Alexandria. These canons can be seen at the door to the Tower, much restored, I guess.....



The Tower is open to the public but only in the afternoon's and I was there during the morning so no opportunity to see the view from the top. I had to make do with a view over Findhorn Bay and over Grant Park. The residents of Forres are lucky to have such a great and well kept park. There was just time for a wander round part of it before I had to return to the station for my train.....


Another interesting Tump!




No comments: