Tuesday 4 August 2020

The Girron

3 August 2020

Participants: Just me

Where: The Girron, 528m/1,732', P. 36m, Tump, OS 51, NN 695 258

While I have enjoyed visiting the lower hills close to home so far this year and added to my Tump total, I wanted to at least visit some of the hills above the Highland line before the stalking season put them out of bounds. The forecast for today was excellent, although when I arrived at St Fillans it didn't look that way, bands of drizzle were coming down Loch Earn and the hills were almost out of view.....

Things were improving however and looking west shortly after leaving the forest area blue sky was starting to appear around the Graham, Creag Each..........


Things improved rapidly and soon it was a glorious day. The colours are always at their best after rain and so it was today. It was a great view along and across Loch Earn to Ben Vorlich.....



After leaving the track, progress was aided by a 4WD path up and across the heather. It went most of the way to the summit. The view south to the Glen Artney hills.....


I wasn't absolutely certain where the highest point was, the hill to the north named Creag Odhar looked as though it might be part of The Girron so I climbed it as well. On the way, there was a good view down to Loch Boltachan.....


This top was not in fact part of the Tump but it provided another aspect of the Glen Artney hills this time behind The Girron.....


I returned the same way. This was my first "proper" hill climb of the year and I found that my hill fitness was almost non-existent. I actually had to have a rest going downhill!  


No comments: