Thursday 8 June 2023

The Point, Isle of Lismore

 1 June 2023

Where: The Point (Isle of Lismore), 51m/167', P 34m, Tump, OS 49, NM 893 462

I was heading home and drove to Port Appin to catch the passenger ferry to the Isle of Lismore, an island I had not been to before. Port Appin pier and the ferry.....


A former telephone box on the island side had been converted into an information point and it also sold some souvenirs, with an honesty box to leave your payment.....


 The island's northerly Tump, The Point, rises above the pier and it was a matter of minutes to make my way to the summit, where I found a queue of other  Tumpers wanting to visit the cairn.....

It was a wonderful viewpoint. The views of Eigg and Rum which I had been seeing the last two days were replaced with an array of peaks of which the Corbetts Fuar Bheinn and Creach Bheinn in Ardgour were the most prominent. Memories of a tough round of Glen Galmadale many years ago....


The view south down the island, which is mainly agricultural.....

and north up Loch Linnhe.....

I dropped back down to the road and walked a couple of miles to the houses at Port Ramsay, which is situated on the west side of the island.....

The Glen Galmadale hills from Port Ramsay.....

I then backtracked to the other side of the island and made my way back to the pier. The view north from here was to the Glen Etive hills.....

and in the distance, the Vair pair.....


And then it was time for the boat back to Port Appin, stopping there for a cup of tea and a scone before the drive home.....


It had been an excellent walk, although short as I had a fair way still to travel to get home. Well worth a revisit some day soon to see the rest of the island.


No comments: