Friday 23 June 2023

Kilpatrick Braes: Middle Duncolm and Fynloch Hill

 22 June 2023

Where: Middle Duncolm, 393m/1,289', P 30m, Tump, OS 64, NS 467 771 and Fynloch Hill, 400m/1,312', P 46m, Tump, OS 64, NS 461 770

The very high temperatures and humidity which we had been enduring recently had eased slightly so I decided to do two of the Kilpatrick Hills Tumps which I had not yet done. I parked in Old Kilpatrick and followed the road/track up to Loch Humphrey, a bit of a slog if I am to be honest. It does however provide excellent views down to the Erskine bridge and Glasgow/Paisley and down the Clyde towards Greenock and the Cowal hills beyond. I took photos both on the way up and when I was coming back down.....




After passing the loch, the track becomes a good path and the hills come into view.....



I went to Middle Duncolm first, confirming as I did that when I climbed the Marilyn, Duncolm, many years ago, I had not climbed this one en route. The high point is unmarked and there was a view of the highland hills from it.....

Duncolm from Middle Duncolm.....

Fynloch Hill was close by and I found a path on it, albeit on the way down.....

This insignificant hill was a much better viewpoint. Looking over the Fyn Loch to Loch Lomond and the Munros/Corbetts of the Southern Highlands.....

East over Duncolm to the Campsie Fells.....

The day had warmed up considerably and I was starting to struggle, albeit it was mostly downhill now. I have had a sore back for a few weeks and that was affecting my legs. I was very glad to get back to the car park in Old Kilpatrick. Another visit to the physio coming up I think.



No comments: