Friday 20 May 2022

Patie's Hill, Spittal Hill and Green Law, (Pentland Hills)

 19 May 2022

Participants: Just me

Where: Patie's Hill, 478m/1,568', P35m, Tump, OS 66, NT 163 574, Spittal Hill, 526m/1,726', P32m, Tump, OS 66, NT 165 587 and Green Law, 529m/1, 736', P 70m, Tump, OS 66, NT 167 595

Another bright and breezy day. I had had my eye on the south Pentland hills for some time so made an early start to get to the car park at Nine Mile Burn before it filled up. A short walk along the road from the car park brought me to the start of the track through the hills. I followed this past Spittal Farm and up to the col between Patie's Hill and Spittal Hill. The two hills from near the start.....

Patie's Hill.....

Looking east from the track towards Scald Law and South Black Hill.....


From the col, I made the short climb to Patie's Hill.....

There was an excellent view of Spittal Hill with The Kips and Scald Law in the background. The latter were to feature strongly in the views as I made my way along the ridge to Green Law.....

I returned to the col and the start of a good grassy path up Spittal Hill. Looking back to Patie's Hill.....

And to Patie's Hill and another Tump- still to do- Mount Maw.....

The Kips and Scald Law from the summit of Spittal Hill.....

There were views of the North Esk reservoir to my left as I wandered along the ridge with the Marilyn of East Cairn Hill in the background. One that I did from the north.....


Approaching Green Law. I had wondered if I had done this hill from the north many years ago but I didn't recognise anything when I got there so obviously not....

The Kips and Scald Law from Green Law.....

Hare Hill and Black Hill with Edinburgh and the Queensferry crossing in the background......

Then it was a return the way that I had come as far as the Patie's Hill/Spittal Hill col. From the col, there was a good view of the Mount Maw to The Mount ridge, another one on the to do list.....

An excellent walk of around 2 hours 30 minutes in the quieter part of the Pentlands.


No comments: