Tuesday 1 March 2022

Edinburgh Castle

 27 January 2022

Participants: Just me

Where: Edinburgh Castle, 131m/430', P 63m, Tump, OS 66, NT 252 735

Edinburgh Castle is a Tump, probably one of the most visited- if not the most- in the country. How many people know that when they step on to polished rocks outside the door of St Margaret's Chapel that they have summited a Tump?! Mind you, Stirling and Dumbarton castles are also Tumps but they don't get as many visitors. I had been round it before but it must have been ages ago as I don't have any photos so pre-digital age. Today was a really nice day so a great opportunity to put that right. On my way to the Castle, I dropped down into the Grassmarket so that I could climb the steps of the Vennel- to get the classic view of the Castle on its rock from the 50th step.....



Then up to the Castle.....


As this is a hill walking Blog, I am only including views from the castle. I also took photos of some of the buildings and furnishings. There is a lot to see and it was a good time of year to see it. It was busy, but not overly so. 

Looking over the Esplanade to the top of the Royal Mile.....


Views from the battlements. Over Princes Street gardens to Calton Hill (another Tump) and the Forth estuary.....


Over the Gardens to the New Town and the Fife coast.....


To the distant Forth bridges.....


The summit rocks next to Mons Meg.....


Using the cannons for some fancy photos.....






Some more views .....



The One o'clock gun being fired.....


An excellent day out.

No comments: