Monday 29 March 2021

Local Lock down Tumps

 Participants: Just me

Where: Springburn Park; Queens Park; Bellahouston Park; Gartshore Bing; Heronry Hill; Ruchill

There were no more Trails to do within my lock down area so I decided to repeat the local Tumps. I had a few appointments in Glasgow-medical so within the rules-so that allowed me to revisit the Glasgow parks whose high points are on the Tump list. The others were walks from home.

1 February: Springburn Park. Still not sure where exactly the high point is and no chance of getting into the enclosure to find out. There are some interesting statues in the park; this one is of Sir James Reid of the Hyde Park Locomotive Works who contributed to the development of the park.....


26 February: Queens Park. I had always intended using public transport where available rather than the car when hill bagging. Now that I cannot use the car at present I reckoned that it was a good time to put that into practice! Queens Park was a short journey from the city centre.....


 Lots of signs of spring today. I walked round the park periphery before heading for the flagpole at the summit from where there are fine views of the city.....




16 March: Bellahouston Park. Another appointment in Glasgow so another park visited. On this occasion, only 1 stop from Glasgow Central.....


Not a great summit but lots of paths to walk. Very pleasant.....


18.March: Gartshore Bing. My nearest Tump, I see it from my window every day. On this occasion, I took a different route from Waterside, a walk alongside the Luggie Water which was a very pleasant route and avoided either sneaking through the bus depot or skirting it via a field (although I did find that there was a RoW that I had not noticed before). The old bing really is a fabulous viewpoint with the Arran hills just visible on the western horizon (third pic.).....




20 March: Heronry Hill. Another one that I could walk to from home although the hill itself is not very interesting. The summit is somewhere within very thick vegetation. However, it is a nice walk to and from it along a quiet road and then a good track. There is a good view of Gartshore Bing to the west on the return....



1 April: Ruchill. The final Glasgow Tump park revisited and another train journey! It would be a marvelous viewpoint if they trimmed the shrubbery, especially around the flagpole. The highest point is a grassy area to the east of the pole.






No comments: