Thursday 3 October 2019

Two Fife Tumps: Wether Hill and Springhall Hill plus part of the Loch Leven Heritage Trail

1 and 2 October 2019
 
Participants: Neil and Ben
Where: Wether Hill, 335m/1,099', P 61m, Tump, OS 58, NT 043 957 and Springhall Hill, 281m/923', P 30m, Tump, OS 58, NO 113 087 plus part of the Loch Leven Heritage Trail
 
I had passed Wether Hill north of Saline on a number of occasions and had read on the Hill bagging site that although its slopes were clothed in conifers, its summit was clear. Situated to the south of the entrance to Glen Devon it looked as though it would be a good viewpoint and so it proved. I parked at a track entrance at a wide bend in the road- just as well that I parked carefully and did not obstruct the gate as the farmer was exiting as I returned to the car! I followed the track uphill turning left on to another less used track at the first junction. After a while, I spotted a narrow firebreak heading upwards with an old fence at its side. I followed that easily out of the trees and on to some very long wet grass. It was only a short distance to the obvious high point.
 
Looking east I could see West Lomond above Loch Leven.....


Looking west it was a view up the Forth valley.....
 
 
The summit with the Ochil Hills in the background.....


The Ochil outliers further east.....


and a view south over the Forth with the old Kincardine power station prominent.....


The following day was again clear and sunny. I certainly hadn't intended going back to Fife but that's what I did. I had heard that the Loch Leven Heritage Trail was now open and I thought that it might provide some good views of the loch and surrounding hills. I couldn't resist diverting a few miles to the north of Milnathort in the direction of Path of Condie to take in one of a number of Tumps up that way. There wasn't much to Springhall Hill apart from a view of West Lomond.....



Then it was down to Kinross and the car park for the Trail. Ben at the lochside with Benarty Hill background.....


The hills to the south- Benarty Hill.....


Bishop Hill.....


West Lomond from the track.....


Unfortunately, the views of the loch were restricted for much of this section but at one point I spotted what looked like a bird watchers hut and decided to investigate. I'm certainly glad that I did as it overlooked a bay in which there were a large number of whooper swans. Winter must be on its way! They were a noisy group and I watched them for quite some time. The scene was made even better as the hut was in an ideal location for views of West Lomond and Bishop Hill across the loch.....



I reckon that I did about a 4 mille return trip but the complete circuit of the loch, about 13 miles, would be a great experience.
 
 

No comments: