Friday 16 August 2019

Back to the Bings- Glaikhead Bing

15 August 2019
 
Participants: Just me
Where: Glaikhead Bing, 276m/906', P 52m, Tump, OS 71/72, NS 816 363
 
August is probably my least favourite month- humidity, rain, flies, midges,clegs, excessive shrubbery, I could go on. This August has been worse than most with very high temperatures and humidity at the start of the month and then thunderstorms and much wetness. And I have had a sore back and hip. So I have been taking a rest from hillwalking. But today was nice, very clear with a cool breeze. I decided to make acquaintance with another Bing/Tump. Glaikhead is just north of Coalburn in Lanarkshire; the Bing looked steep on approach but turned out not to be and there was a good path up. The surrounding area was clearly used as an unofficial dump which sort of spoiled the experience but the view from the top was exceptional. Some photos..... 
 
 
Looking west, I think that could be Dungavel Hill left which I did a few weeks ago.....
 
 
but not sure what all of these are....
 
 
but this one is easy, Tinto.....
 
 
over Coalburn to Common Hill and wind farm.....
 
 
It was a short trip so to make the most of the fine weather in the afternoon I took Ben for a walk at the Carron Valley reservoir.

No comments: