Saturday 22 June 2019

Stirling Castle

19 June 2019
 
Participants: Just me
Where: Stirling Castle, 105m/344', P 79m, TuMP, OS 57, NS 789 941
 
I had been to Stirling Castle a number of times but not since I started bagging TuMPs so I wasn't sure that I had ever been to the highest point. It was a bit difficult  to know where that point actually was as somebody had built a bloody big castle on top of the hill! However, I reckon that it is now the small piece of grass north of the Regimental museum.....
 
 
It was a good number of years since I had last visited and what a difference. This is now a fantastic visitor attraction with lots to see, well presented. I spent a couple of hours and didn't see it all so I'll have to go back. I'm not sure how it compares with Edinburgh Castle but as that's also a TuMP I'll have to pay another visit there some time as well, when the busy summer period is over. The views from Stirling are also magnificent. Here's a few photos from my visit with one of the Castle taken earlier in the year when I was passing.....


The entrance and the main buildings.....



Queen Anne garden.....

The view to the Ochil hills......


The view to Dumyat in the Ochils.....


Looking west to Ben Ledi, Stuc a'Chroin and Ben Vorlich.....


Taking aim at Ben Ledi.....


The view over Stirling to the distant Pentland Hills.....


Looking to the Campsies.....

No comments: