Thursday 23 May 2019

Cnoc Beithe and Craig Kipmaclyne (Crieff)

12 May 2019
 
Participants: Just me
Where: Cnoc Beithe, 447m/1,466', P 31m, Tump, OS 52/58. NN 865268 and Craig Kipmaclyne, 375m/1,230', P 34m, Tump, OS 52/58, NN 876 266
 
The good weather had followed me home, it was a lovely day and  these two hills, which had been on my to do list for ages, were not too far away. A bonus was that there were tracks all the way, this is sheep and grouse country. Although their prominence is low, the approach climbs are considerably greater and these definitely feel like much bigger and wilder hills. Craig Kipmaclyne is prominent from the word go.....
 
 
 
Cnoc Beithe, which I decided to climb first, is tucked in behind it.....
 
 
I had heard gun shots in the distance when I was approaching the hill and there were a couple of very loud bangs- obviously quite close- when I was at the summit. Gamekeepers shooting rodents no doubt. However I saw no one but safety first, I didn't linger, stopping only long enough to take a few photographs. The high point was marked by a conspicuous boulder and there were good views to distant Ben Vorlich, to the Ben Chonzie hills and south to the Ochils.....
 
 


I returned the way that I had come before striking up a rougher path up Craig Kipmaclyne. This was an extremely pleasant perch and without stray bullets to bother me, I spent some time here. Again, there were fine views west to Ben Vorlich....
 
 
 
a nice panorama of hills to the south-east.....
 
 
and of course the Ochils.....
 
 
This is one hill that I would definitely go back to.

No comments: