Saturday 1 September 2018

More Edinburgh TuMPS- Easter and Wester Craiglockhart Hills

31 August 2018
 
Participants: Just me
Where: Easter Craiglockhart Hill, 157m/515', P45m. TuMP, OS 66, NT 232 705 and Wester Craiglockhart Hill, 176m/577', P 62m. TuMP, NT 228 701
 
Back to Edinburgh again to climb two of the smaller hills that I should have visited at some time during my 30-odd years stay in the city but didn't. I now know what I missed, these hills are little gems with fantastic views over the city. I had almost climbed these two as they border the Merchants of Edinburgh golf course where I had played a couple of times; I would have been better taking a walk to their summits than hacking about on the course. I got the bus to the Napier University; a path to each hill starts more or less from there. I climbed Easter Craiglockhart Hill first, this is it from Glenlockhart Road which runs between the two.....


There are good paths on this hill and it was an easy walk to the top. The summit looking towards Corstorphine Hill with the spans of the Queensferry crossing in the distance.....



Looking towards Braid Hills.....


and to the next objective, Wester Craiglockhart Hill.....


I carried on along the spine of the hill and dropped down to Glenlockhart Road. A walk along it almost back to my starting point took me to the path up Wester Craiglockhart Hill. Although higher, and with a better view, this one doesn't seem to get so many visitors. There's a trig and a grand view west into the Lothians.....


Central Edinburgh, the Castle and over the Forth to Fife.....


The Castle, Arthurs Seat and Blackford Hill.....


Arthurs Seat and Blackford Hill......


And a panorama stretching from Corstorphine Hill to Blackford Hill....

No comments: