Tuesday 5 July 2016

Little Conval

4 July 2016

Participants: Just me
Where: Little Conval, 552m/1,811', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 28, NJ 294393
 
I had omitted climbing Little Conval when I climbed its twin, Meikle Conval, a few years ago and ever since had been wondering how I could fit it in without having to make a 200 mile plus round trip for it alone. Now was my opportunity.....
 
 
I drove round to Dufftown and parked in the Golf Club car park. There was no-one around to ask permission from and the course was almost deserted so I guessed that no-one would bother- I was right. The hill track started a hundred yards west of the car park, went through a field and meandered gently up to the col between the two Convals before continuing up the one that I was aiming for. This is a view of the slightly bigger Meikle Conval from the track.....
 
 
A little early sunshine soon gave way to cloud and there were a few showers about. However, all the tops were clear so it wasn't a bad day to be out. These are views of Meikle Conval and Ben Rinnes from high up the track.....
 
 
 
Although it seemed to be a fairly popular local walk, there wasn't much in the way of a cairn. This is it looking south to the Buck.....
 
 
and west to Ben Rinnes where a shower was passing over.....
 
 
There were lots of distilleries to the north.....
 
 
It was back the same way with the whole walk plus stops taking just 2 hours 15 minutes. Then it was down to Tomintoul for a plate of soup before the drive over the Lecht to Braemar and eventually home. It was raining from Stirling home, so I had had the best of the day.

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

I liked that area when I was up there some months ago. Widely spaced hills and big skies give it character.