Saturday 18 June 2016

Mor Bheinn

18 June 2016

Participants: Just me
Where: Mor Bheinn, 640m/2100', Graham/Marilyn, Map 52/57, NN 716212
 
Ben Halton and Mor Bheinn from the Comrie to Braco road.....
 
 
I had seen reports on the Hill Bagging website that suggested that there was a good route from the north, now that some of the forestry had been cut down. So I parked up in a layby just east of Tynreoch and was soon past the farm buildings and on the forestry track that wound uphill gradually on the west side of the hill. It wasn't long before Mor Bheinn came into view.....
 
 
Getting closer.....
 
 
Some reports recommended leaving the track at a burn just after leaving the main forest but that looked steep and not very pleasant underfoot so I carried on up the track which now rose quite steeply. It certainly goes a lot further than my map indicated. I followed it to its end and from there could see what looked like a good route slanting up and across the hillside towards the col between Mor Bheinn and Ben Halton.....
 
 
There were plenty of grass strips to follow which avoided most of the heather. This is looking back from part way up the hillside with the Carn Mairg hills in the distance.....
 
 
I arrived on Mor Bheinn's south ridge just above the col and picked up a developing path which went all the way to the summit. There were none of the crags which the map indicates are prevalent on this hill, at least, not on this route. Unfortunately, the weather was a bit cloudy, especially to the west; this is looking towards Ben Vorlich.....
 
 
North to Ben Chonzie....
 
 
And down to Loch Earn.....
 
 
It was virtually windless so I hadn't been at the trig long when the midges found me. Time to bail out! I returned by the same route, one which avoided all the steepness, most of the heather, all the bracken and all the deer fences. So a thank you to the Hill Bagging site! It took me 2 hours 20 up and the same down, when the sun came out and I stopped a few times for water and photos. This is looking across Strathearn to Ben Each.....
 
 

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

Did this hill years ago through the large estate then up via steep cliffs under the summit. Certainly an easier route this one as I think the estate grounds are off limits these days with improvements and new high fences.