Monday 21 July 2014

Creag Ruadh (Dalwhinnie)

20 July 2014

Participants: Just me
Where: Creag Ruadh (Dalwhinnie), 658m/2,159', Graham, Map 42, NN 685882

The day of the MBA meeting was dull and misty with rain spreading in late afternoon. When I got up on the following morning, it was still dull but looked like brightening up. By the time we finished the agenda items that we had not managed to discuss the day before, it was only the back of 10 am, the cloud had lifted and the sun was showing signs of appearing. It was an easy decision- I would do another hill on the way down the road. I still have a few to do in this area but the Graham of Creag Ruadh has always seemed like a good one to do to break up a journey up or down the A9. It is the hill just to the north of  the Munro, Meall Chuaich, both seen here from the walk in along the hydro road that goes to Loch Cuaich.....


I left the car in the lay-by that is the usual parking place when doing Meall Chuaich. After about half a mile, I spotted a gate in the deer fence that surrounds the hill. So I left the road, dropped down to the burn, crossed it, and headed for the gate. And got a very pleasant surprise when I went through it- a 4WD track that headed up the hill. This is a heathery hill, clearly used for grouse shooting, so it was great to be able to follow the track and avoid the thick heather. The track went well up the hill and above it the heather was short so it was an easy ascent. This is looking back past the start to Loch Ericht and distant Ben Alder....


There was an amazingly large cairn for what I guess is a hill that doesn't receive many ascents plus a stone built shelter. As I was looking around, another walker arrived from the opposite direction having climbed up from Loch Cuaich. She was from Edinburgh and we had a good chat before descending the hill together. And, a rare occurrence for me, I got my photo taken at the cairn! The first pic has Meall Chuaich in the background and the second the Monadliath.....



It wasn't as clear and sunny as Friday but still not bad. This is looking down on Loch Cuaich with the Munro above it.....


across to Carn na Caim.....


and across the A9 to the Monadliath with Friday's hill, Cruban Beag in the foreground.....


The track wasn't very distinct, especially from above, but I somehow managed to find it again and so avoid the heather on the way down. I suppose that the walk took just over 3 hours in total, including a good stop at the top. Continuing down the A9, I came across heavy rain around Pitlochry, but it was brilliant sunshine from Perth home. I had made the most of my weekend.

No comments: