Tuesday 4 April 2023

Little Hill and Thorney Hill

 3 April 2023

Where: Little Hill, 350m/1,148', P 41m, Tump, OS 57, NN 770 169 and Thorney Hill, 104m/358', P 32m, Tump, OS 58, NN 974 132

This week's trip was to just south of Comrie to bag Little Hill. It was a shortish walk so I decided to divert to Auchterarder on the way home and bag Thorney Hill.

It was a very pleasant spring day although a bit hazy. I left the car in a very convenient lay-by a couple of hundred metres north of the entrance to the track that circled Little Hill. The path started off flat but then rose steeply through a nice wood to emerge onto the moor where it branched. This is or was grouse country so there were lots of tracks, one of which went almost to the summit. I could see the trig in the distance from well down the hill. 

The trig is not the summit. This is about a hundred metres to the south-west and is unmarked. There is a fine view of the Marilyn Ben Clach from both.....


Looking east from the trig.....

The trig from the summit with Ben Chonzie beyond.....

I took a couple of pictures from the track on the way back down. Ben Vorlich and Ben Halton to the west.....

Comrie and Ben Chonzie to the north.....

A Tump that I can recommend!

It was still early when I got back to the car so I decided to make a slight detour to Auchterarder to hopefully bag Thorney Hill. I had looked at this one in the past but there was always a herd of cows on it, which I tend to avoid if at all possible. However, I was in luck today, the cows had been replaced with sheep. I was able to park at the side of the road just east of a farm entrance and a quick 10 minutes saw me at the top..... 

There is a memorial to a local shepherd just before reaching the high point.....


and the hill is a good viewpoint for the surrounding countryside despite its small stature.


A satisfying day.




No comments: