Thursday 28 April 2022

Craigannet Hill (Carron Valley)

 27 April 2022

Participants: Just me

Where: Craigannet Hill, 357m/1,171', P 54m, Tump, OS 64, 712 848

I parked at the entrance to the track to Craigannet Farm wind farm, next to the old Kirk O'Muir cemetery which is worth a look. The cemetery had a chapel dedicated to St Mary which was founded around the middle of the 15th century and of which no trace remains. Indeed, the cemetery itself is in a sad state of disrepair with the stones fallen and most of the inscriptions weathered away....


This is not the shortest route to the hill but it is the easiest in terms of parking. There is a good track alongside the forest; I followed it as far as the side track to the single wind turbine after which it was a straightforward climb up the north slopes to the flat summit area. I walked the area from east to west to make sure that I made the highest point, there are a number of candidates. From the track.....

Looking back to Carron Valley reservoir and Meikle Bin from the track.....


The summit area and the reservoir and Meikle Bin.....


Cairnoch Hill to the west, another Tump.....


Wind turbine land to the north.....


A bonus, there were a pair of Curlews circling the higher part of the hill, quite a rare sight nowadays, I heard my first Cuckoo of the year and spotted a Wheatear on the way down.


No comments: