Saturday 16 October 2021

Cort-ma Law (Campsie Fells)

 15 October 2021

Participants: Just me

Where: Cort ma-Law, 531m/1,742'

In all the time I had lived in Kirkintilloch, I had never climbed Cort-ma Law, a hill that I can see from the house. So a visit was overdue. I took the bus to Clachan of Campsie and started the walk from there. It was a steep climb up a good path to the car park on the Crow Road and another steep ascent up the west ridge to get on to the plateau. The start of the ridge from Clachan of Campsie and Clachan of Campsie from the ridge.....


Looking back as I climbed the ridge.....





The first real top on the ridge was Lairs, this is looking towards it.....


The best of the views from this part of the Fells is to the east, south and west, there are really only glimpses of the higher hills to the north, particularly Ben Ledi, Stuc a'Chroin and Ben Vorlich.....


The area between Lairs and Cort-ma Law is fairly boggy in places. Approaching Cort ma-Law.....


There were  lots of folk about and it was particularly busy at the summit trig which is rather decrepit.....


Looking east to Meikle Bin.....

I had taken a direct route from Lairs to Cort-ma Law but it was very wet and the path was not distinct. There was a much better path heading to a large cairn on the edge of the escarpment before turning back to Lairs and I decided to go that way on my return. The cairn was also a great viewpoint....

The views east and south from the cairn, Edinburgh and the Pentland Hills round to Tinto.....


The view west with the Arran hills on the horizon (centre of photo).....

Back at Lairs it was just a case of following the outward route back to the road and then down to Clachan of Campsie. It was a long walk for me and my arthritis was playing up in my legs and knee on the final steep descents. But that certainly didn't spoil what was another great day out. 





No comments: