Monday 14 December 2020

St Flanan's Hill

 

Various dates

Participants: Neil and Ben

Where: St Flanan's Hill, overlooking the Forth and Clyde canal between Kirkintilloch and Twechar

I'm little further forward with my health issues, still waiting to get further tests. The only hill that I've attempted so far is this little wooded one that I can get to easily from home. I had done it a few times during lock down and it was particularly good in late autumn when the foliage was at its best. The hill is not named on any map that I can find so I've called it after the local area. It seems to be just below Tump height and there are paths up and around it. I suspect that it is mainly the remains of an old spoil tip as this was a coal mining area and there were also brick works nearby. There are remains of old buildings on the lower slopes.

There are two approaches for me- along the south bank of the canal or by a track through the fields from the east end of Kirkintilloch. Looking at the hill across the fields with the Campsie Fells in the background.....

Getting closer.....


Ben at the summit.....



Looking south to Gartshore Bing (Tump).....


Another view of St Flanan's Hill from the north bank of the canal.....




No comments: