Monday 16 September 2019

Kirn Law (Glentress) and Grange Hill (Lamancha)

13 September 2019
 
Participants: Neil and Ben
Where: Kirn Law, 412m/1,352', P 57m, Tump, OS 73, NT 294 409 and Grange Hill, 383m/1,257', P 30m, Tump, OS 73, NT 201 513
 
I was interested to see the developments at Glentress forest at Peebles since I was last there some 15 or so years ago. Quite a change, it is now an mountain bikers paradise with shops, a café and lots of trails plus a Go Ape centre. However, as it was a Friday outwith the school holidays, it was fairly quiet and I stuck to the main roads until the final bit of the walk. It was a pleasant walk through the forest although there wasn't a lot to see. The final section to the summit was up an unmarked MTB path but it was short and there was plenty of space to get out of the way if a cyclist appeared, which a couple did. The summit area was vaguely familiar; I may have passed here in the dim and distant past on a walk to Dunslair Heights. Only a few photos.....




Rather than drive home by the route I had come, I decided to head in the direction of Edinburgh, take the A701 and pick up a small hill above Lamancha. I parked beside the houses from where a track ascended the hill; there were lots of sheep about so Ben was on his lead. The highest point was a few metres west of the trig and as I had expected, there was a fine view of the Pentland Hills with Arthurs Seat in the far distance. The photos.....







No comments: