Monday 4 March 2019

A few Kirriemuir Tumps

1 March 2019
 
Participants: Neil and Ben
Where: Hill of Kirriemuir, 193m/633', P 34m, Tump, OS 54, NO 391 546; Meams Hill, 271m/889', P 42m, Tump, OS 54, NO 372 571; Carroch Hill, 244m/801', P 36m, Tump, OS 54, NO 365 588, Kaims of Airlie, 211m/692', P 63m, Tump, OS 53, NO 323 588; Gallow Knowe, 260m/ 853', P 30m, Tump, OS 53, NO 293 554
 
I had a meeting in Glamis in the morning on MBA business and that left the afternoon free to climb some hills. The weather was cloudy and hazy but dry, ideal conditions for the smaller hills.
 
Hill of Kirriemuir was a drive up- it is the main park for Kirriemuir and contains a Neverland children's playground. The high point could be beside a small shelter or could be a few yards away in a wooded area, we visited both.....
 
 
 
It would have been a nice view north if it hadn't been so hazy.....
 
 
I headed a few miles north of Kirriemuir for the next two hills. Approaching Meams Hill.....
 
 
I parked at an old quarry and walked a few yards back down the road to the start of a steep track leading up the hill to some cow pasture, luckily, the animals were on a distant part of the hill. The highest point was in front of some trees and could have been either side of a fence.....
 
 
Back to the car and a mile or so further on I stopped again at the start of a track on Carroch Hill.....
 
 
This was nice woodland and the track led straight to the highest point.....
 
 
There wasn't much in the way of views although from lower down I could see back to Meams Hill.....
 
 
I then followed some narrow country roads passing through Kirkton of Kingoldrum to reach the Kaims of Airlie. This one was a narrow wooded ridge. I parked at the entrance ta farm track, walked 50 yards back along the road to a gate, climbed it, walked a few yards through some rough vegetation and I was at the obvious highest point.....
 
 
More country roads and I was at the foot of Gallow Knowe, on the east side of the Loch of Lintrathen. I parked at a bend in the road and went up some steps to a small covered water container. From there I could see the old WW2 lookout post on the highest point of Gallow Knowe.....
 
 
They like their barbed wire fences around here and the high point was on the opposite side of the fence to me. However, by carrying on for a bit I found a gate which enabled me to visit the high point and the building. There was a good view of the loch to the west.....
 
 

No comments: