Monday 26 November 2018

Carrot Hill (Dundee/Forfar area)

25 November 2018
 
Participants: Just me
Where: Carrot Hill, 259m/850', P52m, TuMP, OS 54, NO 459 402
 
I was on my way back from the Dundee Mountain Film Festival and had taken an extra day in the area hoping to climb a few hills. Unfortunately the weather was coming in from the east and it was rather wet to say the least. However, this morning promised a break after early rain and sure enough it was improving as I drove into the car park for Carrot Hill. There was even a touch of sunshine and although the hills above the Angus glens remained shrouded in cloud, elsewhere was clear. There is a good network of paths on this hill and after visiting the trig on Carrot Hill I continued the walk to its southern outlier, Dodd Hill.
 
This is clearly a popular walk for local folk and it was easy to see why. There was a fine view of Craigowl, the highest hill in the Sidlaws.....
 
 
and to the north another TuMP, Fotheringham Hill to the south of Forfar.....
 
 
I could see that there was a big cairn on Dodd Hill so, as it looked as though the rain would stay off for a bit, I set off for a look at it.....
 
 
And here it is, Craigowl now to the left of the picture.....
 
 
I really liked this hill and I will certainly be back in the area on a better day when I can explore further.

No comments: