Monday 16 July 2018

Creag nan Eun (Glen Lednock)

6 July 2018
 
Participants: Just me
Where: Creag nan Eun, 416m/1,365', P32, TuMP, OS 52, NN 724 288
 
The hot, clear weather continued so I decided to head for a wee hill that I had had my eye on for a while, Creag nan Eun above the Glen Lednock dam. There is a long ridge running above the south side of Glen Lednock reservoir and the TuMP summit is at the southern end, a rocky peak immediately above the dam. I set off early in an attempt to get the walk completed before the heat really built up and I was the first car in the car park at Invergeldie. The estate have prepared the car park here and appear to be very welcoming. My route was to follow the road part way to the dam before heading off across the river on to the signposted route to Ardeonaig on the south side of Loch Tay. This is the view of Creag nan Eun from the road.....
 
 
Although marked on the map as a track, the Ardeonaig route is in fact a tarred road. I got a good view of my route up it as I approached.....
 
 
 
Just after crossing a second bridge, a 4WD track heads off up the hill. I missed the start of it on the way up and ended up forcing my way through some thick bracken but I made sure that I found it on the way down. After the path veered away across the hillside, I followed grassy runnels up through a gap in the crags to reach the top. As expected there was a fine view of the reservoir, less empty than I thought that it might be given the long spell of dry weather.....
 
 


It was also a fine vantage point for lower Glen Lednock (Torlum is the pointed hill in the distance)..... 
 
 
The view looking down on the dam was not as spectacular as I had hoped. I am sure that it will be much better when the reservoir is full.....
 
 
I like Glen Lednock. Many of the hills are quite rough and the scenery is truly highland for being so close to the central belt.

No comments: