Wednesday 10 May 2017

Beinn a' Bhacaidh with Carn an t-Suidhe

5 May 2017

Participants: Just me
Where: Beinn a'Bhacaidh, 555m/1821', Sub-2k Marilyn, OS 34, NH 432119 and Carn an t-Suidhe, 450m/1476', Tump, OS 34, NH 442103

It was another glorious day's weather and I was on my way home. Rather than go back the same way, down the A9, I decided to take the western route down Loch Ness to Fort William and Glencoe. My decision was influenced by the fact that I still had some sub-2k's to do around the foot of Loch Ness; my choice was the one nearest to Fort Augustus, Beinn a'Bhacaidh. The route took in a Tump, Carn an t-Suidhe and started from the high point of the road just before it descended to Fort Augustus. This is the view of the two hills from Loch Tarff.....
 
 
There was a viewpoint at the start so plenty of parking space. A well constructed track led to the summit of the Tump, an interesting hill in itself with a lot of rocky tors; I think that the highest point was probably one of the first that I reached. Anyway, I climbed them all just to make sure.....
 
 
There was a fine view of Loch Tarff from the end of the ridge.....
 
 
and Beinn a'Bhacaidh came into view.....
 
 
It looked quite a long tramp across the valley between the two but in actual fact I was across quite quickly. It helped that the ground was bone dry. I aimed for the corner of a former forest (recently cut down I think) where there was agate in a fence that surrounded the hill. Then it was just a case of choosing a route up mostly grassy slopes. As I got higher, the Loch Lochy Munros- Sron a'Choire Ghairbh and Meall na Teanga- and Ben Tee came into view.....
 
 
I passed this lochan just before the final climb to the cairn.....
 
 
You could actually see a few large wind farms from here; it is all very well the planners saying that they can't be seen from roads and villages but what about the views from the hills? When Stronelarig gets built it will also be seen from this hill range. On the plus side, there was no view of the massive Glen Doe reservoir built a few years ago for hydro purposes.
 
And then the substantial cairn.....
 
 
There was a good view up Loch Ness from close to the summit with Meall Fuar-mhonaidh prominent.....
 
 
and down Loch Ness to Fort Augustus.....
 
 
On the opposite side of the hill, a fair number of sub-2ks, some of which I've climbed and some I haven't.....
 
It only took about 3 hours car to car and then I was on my way again. A good wee trip.
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

New hills for me Neil but different and unfamiliar nice views. Great spell of weather we're having.