Thursday 12 May 2016

Meall a'Bhainne, a magnificent viewpoint

11 May 2016

Participants: Just me
Where: Meall a'Bhainne, 559m/1,835', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 40, NM 901785
 
Meall a' Bhainne was on my list of most wanted hills but the way I felt after my exertions on Doire Ban, I wondered if I had the strength left to climb it this trip. Especially as it was another scorching day although the wind seemed to have eased. Anyway, I drove along to the car park at Callop, got my boots on and started off along the track, taking it nice and slow. The estate have put up a number of welcoming signs and obviously take their access responsibilities seriously. Good to see. This is todays hill (the middle one). It is a bit steeper than it looks in this photo.....
 
 
I followed the track until a few hundred yards past the cottage before taking to the hillside.....
 

It was mostly grassy but a bit rough in its lower reaches with some tufts and it seemed to be a long walk before I really started to make some height. I was heading for the obvious notch in the ridge.....
 

I was careful today to stop often for a sip of water. These stops provided the opportunity to take some photos. To the east, Loch Eil with the Nevis group distant.....
 

Some well known Munros and Corbetts were well seen the other side of the Mallaig road; Streap behind Beinn an Tuim, Braigh nan Uamhachan, Gulvain.....
 

The notch in the ridge was not the summit; it was about 1/2 mile further on.....
 

And it provided the view that made me put Meall a'Bhainn on my wanted list.

Sgorr Ghiubhsachain, Loch Shiel, and Beinn Odhar Bheag.....



Beinn Odhar Bheag across Loch Shiel.....
 

In the other direction, Glenfinnan village and the Harry Potter viaduct with the hills of the Corryhully horseshoe beyond.....
 

A zoom of the viaduct.....
 

What a magnificent perch! If you're going to climb this one, leave it for a good day. Although I was going very slowly, I was surprised to see when I got back to the car that it had only taken me 4 hours 30 minutes return.

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

We were not that far away from you in similar heat wave conditions. Nice set of photos of a great area.