Thursday 11 June 2015

Island Davaar

Participants: Just me
Where: Island Davaar, SIB, Map 68

I hadn't slept very well- lots of coughing and spluttering and I certainly wasn't feeling at my best. However, I felt a bit better when I hit the fresh air and as it was an absolutely glorious day, I decided to walk out to Island Davaar before setting off down the road. The island is at the entrance to Campbeltown Loch and is accessible 3 hours either side of low tide by walking across the Doirlinn, a narrow spit of shingle. There is a hill walkers list of islands- the SIBS, the Significant Islands of Britain- and Davaar is on it. It rises to a height of 115m.....


I was really lucky with my timing, low tide was at noon so the island was accessible from 9.00am. There is a parking area at the start of the Doirlinn and it seems to be a popular walk, although most people seem to stick to the shoreline rather than climb to the top. There is rock art in one of the caves. This is the island from the start of the Doirlinn.....


The island is grazed by sheep and goats. Here are the sheep with a nice background of the Arran hills.....



and here are the goats.....

There was a rough path up the grassy slopes and I was at the trig in an hour.....


What a great viewpoint! This is looking down on Campbeltown, Campbeltown Loch and the Doirlinn.....




the Arran hills from the summit.....


looking up the Kilbrannan Sound.....


and on the southern horizon, Ailsa Craig.....


A great way to spend a couple of hours or so.

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

I'm jealous! One island I've never been out to as the tide was never right. Looks a cracking viewpoint. Nice photos that give a feel of the place.