Monday 20 April 2015

Creag na Doire Duibhe

19 April 2015

Participants: Neil and Ben
Where: Creag na Doire Duibhe, 574m/1,883', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 35, NN 615906

I hadn't intended to go walking again today especially as the forecast was for heavy cloud cover and my knee was still giving me bother. But as I drove down the A9 it was obvious that the cloud was only affecting the east of the country so I decided to make a detour to Laggan to do another sub-2k on my wanted list- Creag na Doire Duibhe. I parked at a bridge over the burn at the start of a track that crossed the moor almost to the foot of the hill; there was room for a few cars here. The hill was in view after the first couple of hundred yards and it looked like a good walk.....
 


The track ended where the hill proper started but unlike the previous day, the heather was short and good to walk on. The view east was over Loch Glas-choire to Creag Dhubh at Newtonmore.....
 
 
 
 
My route followed the line of a new deer fence which I didn't have to cross although higher up there was an older fence, fortunately with a gate. Then it was simply a case of taking the least steep route to the west ridge and then shortly after I was at the cairn. This is the view east to Creag Dhubh.....
 
 
south to the Munro, Meall Chuaich.....
 
 
and north to the Munro, Geal Charn.....
 
 
But the view that attracted most attention was the panorama of snow covered peaks to the west which included Ben Alder, the Loch Pattack hills and the Creag Meagaidh hills. I took a wide angled photo to try to show the whole lot.....
 
 
Another view of the Loch Pattack hills.....
 
 
and Creag Meagaidh.....
 
 
A real gem of a hill- highly recommended. It took just less than 3 hours car to car so could easily be fitted in in a drive up or down the A9.
 
Ben had had a great three days, goodness knows how many miles he covered in total but that evening and today he has been extremely listless. Even spaniels get tired and need rest days apparently.




1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

I always felt like a rest or sightseeing day after a week of backpacking. Rewards of an easy day make the hard ones worthwhile.Smart thinking about our fickle weather.