Saturday 12 April 2014

Roan Fell

11 April 2014

Participants: Just me
Where: Roan Fell, 568m/1,862', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 79, NY 451931

The area south of the wee road that crosses the hills to Hermitage castle south of Hawick was a new one for me. So when I read that the track up the Twislehope valley had been extended to the top of the sub-2k of Roan Fell, I added it to the list of hills to do. The dismal grey spring weather in the central belt had continued but today promised brighter things, although it had clouded over by the time I arrived at the start of the walk.....



I was greeted by lots of barking as I passed Twislehope farm; I was glad that they were behind a fence.....
 

The track followed the burn initially; typical Southern Upland scenery this.....
 

and then climbed steeply up the side of Ewe Hill (the name gives the reason why Ben wasn't with me). Looking back as I got higher, the view was to Caldcleuch Head, the most south-easterly Graham which I had climbed from the north many moons ago.....
 

The original track ended at the top of Hartsgarth Hill. The extension was motorway smooth and there was no obvious reason why it was there. No grouse butts, no wind speed mast, no young conifers, just a track winding its way across a boggy expanse of what was in effect desolate moorland. I was glad that it was there however as it would have been an awkward navigation exercise otherwise to keep out of the boggy bits. It was another hill where the highest point could have been anywhere but fortunately there was a cairn, and right beside the track as well! This is looking back the way I had come with Caldcleuch Head and Greatmoor Hill in the background.....
 

I was very close to the border with England. The sun came out a bit and although it was hazy, I could just make out the Lake District hills and the north Pennines. However, too hazy and distant for photographs so this is one looking towards the Kielder forests.....
 

The track carried on past the summit to I know not where but my route was back the way I had come. Just before the steep bit, I got a good view north to Wisp Hill and Ellson Fell, two more sub-2ks but ones I have already done.....
 

I passed a few old sheep fanks.....
 

and was back at the car in a shade over 3 hours.
 
I couldn't be in the area and not visit Hermitage castle.....
 


This is a real castle, one that has been built for fighting. For a number of centuries it was key to control of the border country. Nowadays, there is not much to see inside but from the outside, it is still an impressive fortress.

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

Hermitage Castle is amazing. Even toady it has a real impact on the visitor and a brutal kind of energy coming off it when you walk round the walls. A stone cube built to kill or deter any intruders beneath it. I'm surprised it's not been featured more in films.
Great area that as well. An empty quarter those rolling slopes down there that few hill walkers ever reach.