Sunday 24 November 2013

A tiddler on the way home from the Lakes - Lambrigg Fell

23 November

Participants - Just me
Where - Lambrigg Fell, 338m/1,109', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 97, SD 586943

I had been staying at Windermere for my couple of nights in the Lakes so I came back out to the motorway via Kendal. It just so happened that this route passed a previously unclimbed Marilyn! The brilliant weather of yesterday had moved away south and it was a typical late November day, overcast and a bit chilly. However, although the high Fells were cloud covered the tiddlers were clear. I parked off the road beside a quarry opposite a bridle path that went up the hill. On closer inspection of the sign, I found, in small lettering, the words "access land" which I reckon must apply to Lambrigg Fell itself, although it wasn't obvious. There was a shooting party in the adjacent field so I kept to the bridle path as far as possible. Every so often, the posse would let off a volley of shots, presumably waging war on rabbits.

This is Lambrigg Fell from the start of the bridle path.....


It is just a piece of moorland that happens to have the required amount of drop to give the highest point Marilyn status. I found three possible mounds that could have contained the highest point. It was impossible to see where it actually was, it was not marked by any feature and of course I don't have a GPS that would have told me definitely. Anyway, I'm claiming the tick! There was a well built stone wall between all three humps.

The best of the view was towards the Howgill Fells.....


and towards Morecambe Bay.......



1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

I must admit it doesn't look as scenic as the last two hills Neil :)