Saturday 28 September 2013

Meall a'Bhuachaille and Ryvoan Bothy

24 September

Participants: Neil and Ben
Where: Meall a'Bhuachaille, 810m/2,657', Corbett, Map 36, NH 991115

I was heading home after my short trip and decided to cross the Cairngorms (by car of course!) and call in at Ryvoan bothy (Ruighe a'Bhothain or Shiel of the Bothy) for a look-see as it had been ages since I had been there and much work had recently been done to smarten it up. It is one of the most visited of the MBA bothies as the visitors book indicated but it was in great condition, thanks to the efforts of the Maintenance Officers. The building as it stands today is all that is left of a farm, a much bigger building that was abandoned in 1877. The bothy comprises a single room with a lean-to porch; it looks very small from the outside but is surprisingly roomy inside.  There is even a sleeping platform! The MBA took on responsibility for its maintenance in 1972 and I remembered it as being pretty rough and ready on the previous occasions I had been there. Not now though.
 


 
 
 
It had been overcast as I was driving to Glenmore and I passed through really misty conditions just before Aviemore but the clouds were breaking up as I approached the bothy and by the time I had had a good look round the tops of the Munros were clear. The fine Corbett of Meall a'Bhuachaille overlooks the bothy and the path up starts at the bothy door. I didn't take much persuasion when Ben left the bothy and headed straight for the hill path! I have been up here many times but not for a few years. In the intervening period, considerable work has been done on the path. What used to be a rough, boulder and heather mixture of a path is now a motorway surface standard. There was a good view back down to the bothy from part way up.....
 
 
In no time at all we were approaching the large shelter cairn.....
 
 
However, a smaller cairn close by was the viewpoint for Loch Morlich.....
 
 
The cloud was floating around the tops of Bynack Mor and Cairngorm.....
 
 
It was good to be back in the 'gorms again even if it was only a fleeting visit on this occasion.

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

I've cross country skied and cycled in there a few times just for day excursions. That's good if the path is less rugged I suppose as I remember the stretch past the bothy being boulder strewn and very unpleasant on a bike. Mind you I'm always in two minds over new and existing paths which allow easier access into areas.Don't know if it's a good or a bad thing most of the time:)