Wednesday 10 October 2012

Burgiehill

7 October 2012

Participants - Neil and Ben
Where - Burgiehill, 254m/832', Sub-2k Marilyn, Map 27, NJ 097559

It was heading home day, and I had found another woodland walk cum Sub-2k Marilyn that was not too far out of my way. And, unlike Mount Eagle, the track on this one went all the way to the trig!

I drove to Forres and took the B9010 road to Rafford; at least I thought that that was what I was on but the signposting in this neck of the woods was a bit sparse. Burgiehill, being low lying, doesn't look much like a hill but eventually I saw the telecommunication masts above a forest and knew that I was at least in the right general area. It didn't help that the start of the route was on one map and the route itself on another but I eventually found the entrance to the forestry track on the east side of the hill; it was on the opposite side of the road to two other tracks that headed east into another part of the forest. The walk itself through the forest was pleasant and the various tracks were as marked on the map.....


As with Mount Eagle two days before, the amount of ascent was negligible and after about a mile, I came to a cleared area containing the masts.....


The trig was immediately behind some buildings.....


and at least the cleared area allowed me a view to the south (to Ben Rinnes I think).....


Although there is not much of a view from the top of Burgiehill, a fabulous viewpoint has been created on the access road to the north (marked on the map). It provided a great view across the outer Moray Firth to the hills of east Sutherland and Caithness, an area that I have yet to visit.....


I then continued on my journey south, across Dava Moor to Carrbridge to rejoin the A9.

No comments: