Thursday 22 March 2012

Meall Tairneachan

22 March 2012

Participants - Neil and Ben
Where - Meall Tairneachan, 787m/2582', Corbett, Map 52, NN 807544

I'm not sure why but I really, really struggled on this one today. The ground wasn't particularly rough, it wasn't overly steep and it was a relatively short distance. Its definitely getting harder to crank my body into action at the start of a years hillwalking!

The only time I did this hill before- with Farragon Hill- I walked up the road to the baryte mine that sits between the two Corbetts. A poor route and I had been meaning to do this hill again for ages via something a lot better. There was some activity going on near the start of the walk in connection with the building of the Beauly to Denny power line but it did not affect access to the hill. Anyway, I parked at the old Tomphubil Lime Kiln at the highest point of the B846 Aberfeldy to Tummel Bridge road. There was an information board that told me that the Kiln was built around 1865 to meet a growing demand for lime to improve land for pasture and crops. The Kiln went out of use in the early 1900's.....


After a look at the Kiln, I got my boots on and set off up the hill. The views around here are dominated by Schiehallion.....


An old wall and a new deer fence went up the hill from the car park and the best going was between the two; a path of sorts has started to develop.  This is looking up to the first top of Meall Odhar Mor.....


and looking back down to the road with Schiehallion in the background. I could make out both the new path and the remains of the one it replaced up this popular Munro.....


After Meall Odhar Mor the ridge got a bit knobbly with a few downhill sections but at least the westerly tops of the Corbett were now in view.....


I ground my way on still following the old wall to the steepest section of the day, the climb to the 780m top. Up that and the main top was in sight. Thank goodness!


It was only a further 10 minutes to the trig, following the high ground as much as possible. This is the approach to it with Farragon Hill in the background.....


and this is the view back the way I had come with Schiehallion dominating the view as usual.....


There was no question of carrying on to Farragon Hill today; anyway, I fancy trying a southerly approach to it if I ever do it again. So it was back the way I had come. On the way back I spotted a truck on the road from the mine so it must still be operational. It had been a fine day- the first really warm day of the year- but I was nevertheless glad to see the car!

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

Enjoyed your photos Neil.
Its been so long since I,ve been in that area,must be 15 years ago now.Used to be a great wild walk into Schiehallion from the Wolf of Badenoch,s stone towerhouse then up the gorge of Glen Mhor.Longer but wilder,with great views.
Know what you mean about pushing your body up the hills.it never gets any easier does it?