Wednesday 19 June 2019

Bell's Hill and Harbour Hill, Pentland Hills

10 June 2019
 
Participants: Neil and Ben
Where: Bell's Hill, 406m/1,332', P 57m, TuMP, OS 66, NT 205 643 and Harbour Hill, 421m/1,381', P 64m, TuMP, OS 66, NT 207 654
 
I decided to do these two hills from Flotterstone rather than from Harlaw as the south side has the better views. There is also the bonus of a café at Flotterstone for a cup of coffee when I finished the walk! Although it was a Monday morning, there were a lot of people about and the car park was almost full when I returned. The trip started with a road walk alongside Glencorse reservoir.....


before heading up the good track between the two hills that I was aiming for. This track crosses the hills to Colinton and Harlaw and is well signposted. Ben on the path with Bell's Hill behind.....


I followed the track as far as the col where there is a junction of fences with gates to let pedestrians through easily. There was a good view back from here so I stopped here again both after my descent from Bell's Hill and after climbing Harbour Hill...... 


A path has formed from the col to the top of Bell's Hill. It was a fine, clear day so the views were good. Looking over the Logan Glen to Carnethy Hill, Scald Law and the Kips.....


to Black Hill......


to Black Hill again but with Threipmuir reservoir as well.....


to Castlelaw Hill.....


Ben at the summit boulders with Castlelaw Hill and Allermuir Hill beyond and Caerketton Hill just showing between them.....


I retraced my steps to the col and picked up another path that followed an old wall almost to the unmarked summit of Harbour Hill. There was a view of Edinburgh from here.....


The best of the views however was from just downhill on the approach path where there was a great panorama of Scald Law and the Kips, Black Hill and East Cairn Hill.....


In only getting round to many of these hills now I can see what I was missing by only concentrating on Scald Law on my infrequent visits to the Pentlands when I stayed in Balerno. They are grand walking country. 

No comments: