Tuesday 1 January 2019

Kirkton Hill (Aberfoyle), Hill of Midgate (Perthshire), Leven Seat (Breich) and Tippet Knowe (Fauldhouse),

2 November 2018

Participants: Neil and Ben
Where: Kirkton Hill, 88m/289', P41, TuMP, OS 57, NN 510004

I decided to climb this one because the map showed that it was covered in deciduous trees rather than conifers. What it didn't show of course was the vast amount of wet moss underfoot, windfall, ferns etc. Taking Ben was a bad idea, there were clearly deer close at hand and I was dragged all over the hillside. Mercifully, it was a short walk. The summit area.....



23 November 2018
 
Participants: Just me
Where: Hill of Midgate, 154m/503', P51m, TuMP, OS 52/53/58, NO 028 210
 
I was on my way to Dundee for the Mountain Film Festival, it was a grey, overcast day with showers but I arrived at the parking place in a bit of a lull. All I can say about this "hill" is "what". It is the highest point of extensive upland but fortunately the road runs close by and I only had a walk of a few hundred yards along an overgrown and wet path. The highest point is somewhere around here.....
 

3 December 2018
 
Participants: Just me
Where: Leven Seat, 356m/1,168', P38, TuMP, OS 72, NS 946 576 and Tippet Knowe, 290m/951', P49, OS 65, NS 921 612
 
A beautiful winter day with very clear visibility tempted me out to do these rather indistinct TuMPS. TuMPS. Leven Seat turned out to be a nice hill with fantastic views; pity it is now in a wind farm and there seems to be a massive landfill site being used next door. The approach track.....
 
 
and the summit trig.....
 
 
 
 Tippet Knowe at Fauldhouse is the remains of an old bing. It is approached from the play-park in the village. There is not much to say about it apart from the fact that the slightly lower top, which at least looks like a bing, is the best viewpoint, especially looking towards Edinburgh.....

 
 





No comments: