Monday 14 January 2019

Corston Hill and Auchinoon Hill (Balerno)

14 January 2019
 
Participants: Just me
Where: Corston Hill, 348m/1142', P 46m, OS 65, NT 095 634 and Auchinoon Hill, 351m/1152', P 75m, OS 65, NT 087 608
 
When I stayed in Balerno and wanted to walk locally, I headed to the main Pentland hills. Until I started climbing TuMPs, I had never given a thought to the two small hills on the other side of the A70, in fact it hadn't registered at all that there were any hills there! I rectified that omission today and of course they turned out to be fine viewpoints.
 
I parked in the small car park just off the A70 that I had used many times heading for the Bore Stane route, but this time I crossed the road to it's north side, found that there was a stile over the fence and then a signed footpath. In fact, bridges had been built over some drainage ditches (marked by yellow topped poles) so it was a really easy walk.  Corston Hill.....
 
 
Looking from Corston Hill to the Pentlands with Arthur's Seat sneaking into the left hand side of the photo.....
 
 
 
and the view north to Livingston.....
 
 
I could have carried on to Auchinoon Hill but decided to go back the same way and move the car to a small parking area at an old quarry close to the start of a track to the radio mast on Auchinoon Hill. The summit was marked by an upright stone, I wondered if it might be an old boundary stone but can find no reference to it if it is. Again, some great views.....
 
 


with the addition of a view over Harperrig reservoir to East Cairn Hill and West Cairn Hill.....
 
 

No comments: