Tuesday 8 January 2019

Corb Law and Down Hill (Ochil Hills)

8 January 2019
 
Participants: Just me
Where: Corb Law, 475m/1558', P 116m, HuMP, OS 56, NO 004 091 and Down Hill, 361m/1184', P 112, HuMP, OS 56, NO 001 036
 
It was a rare sunny day amongst a lot of dry, but very cloudy, days to start 2019. I reckoned that these two HuMPs would provide a good outing; I had been thinking about climbing Down Hill for a while now and Corb Law had looked good when I'd seen it from the 3 TuMPs that I climbed to the south of it last year. I drove up the Dunning road and parked in the FC car park at Littlerig, immediately opposite the start of the RoW that cut through the hills to Auchterarder. I followed the track as far as the start of the Corb Glen, a deep pass between Corb Law and John's Hill. There was evidence of recent cattle activity but no sign of the perpetrators. This is a view of Corb Law from the track.....
 
 
John's Hill showed its steep side from here, better approached from further south.....
 
 
I left the main track just past a small plantation and followed another track up the hill. This gradually petered out but the underfoot conditions were good and it didn't take too long before I reached some fences that crossed the top of the hill. The highest point was just to the west of a fence; there was no cairn. A good viewpoint though, this is looking towards the Lomond hills in Fife.....
 
 
and south to the Steele's Knowe wind farm with Ben Cleuch beyond.....
 
 
and into Perthshire with Stuc a'Chroin and Ben Vorlich among other hills on the horizon.....
 
 
I returned the same way, and drove a couple of miles back down the road to the car park for Lendrick Hill. Opposite was Down Hill, which is the prominent hill at the foot of Glendevon when approaching from the south. Today though I wandered up the Downhill farm road for about 1/3 mile before taking to the hillside.....
 
 
Again there was evidence of cattle but again they were not on the hill. It was quite a steep ascent and I was glad to reach the top which contains the remains of an iron age fort. The hill sits immediately above Castlehill Reservoir but unfortunately the low sun was shining straight at me from that direction so I don't have a photo of it. No such problems looking across Glendevon to Innerdownie.....
 
 
or north to the wind farm and the cluster of hills around Corb Law.....
 
 
Lendrick Hill was immediately across the glen.....
 
 
There was a cold, fresh breeze blowing up here so I didn't linger. Two nice hills though.
 
 
 
 

No comments: