Monday 30 July 2018

Gartcarron Hill: Lecket Hill (Campsie Fells)

24 July 2018
 
Participants: Just me
Where: Gartcarron Hill (Campsie Fells), 321m/1053', P67, TuMP, OS 64, NS 651848
 
A short afternoon walk to one of the more northern Campsie Fells. I parked in a lay-by at the edge of the now felled forest from where a rough 4WD track meandered towards the hill. This looks as though it would usually be quite wet ground but bot so today in the continuing mainly dry spell. Gartcarron Hill from the start of the track....
 
 
The northern Campsie escarpment with Ben Ledi distant.....
 
 
A view of Little Bin and Meikle Bin.....
 
 
North to Stronend from the summit.....
 
 
30 July 2018

Participants: Just me
Where: Lecket Hill, 547m/1,795', P96m, TuMP, OS 64, NS 645 812

The heat wave had ended- at last- and it was back to normal summer weather. At 1pm, the forecast was saying good sunny spells so I set out; at 2pm as I left the car, it was heavily overcast, by the time I reached the summit it was raining, although it didn't last long. I left the car at a parking spot on the Crow road at the start of a path up the hill. It looks as though this hill will shortly be planted with trees and there were three new fences to get through, fortunately, each had a pedestrian gate. Views back to the Crow road.....



It was quite a steep climb initially but then it levelled out when I reached the moor. The summit in the distance.....


The path went to the cairn. Looking to Meikle Bin.....


and to the southern highland hills.....


Although it was dull, visibility was excellent and I was able to make out both the Arran peaks and Ailsa Craig on the western horizon. It is only 30 minutes from home so I must revisit on a clear winters day.

No comments: