Saturday 7 July 2018

Druim Mor (Callander Crags)

2 July 2018
 
Participants: Just me
Where: Druim Mor (Callander Crags), 344m/1,129', P51, TuMP, OS 57, NN 627 095
 
Most days recently had been too hot for walking but the temperature had relented to the low 20's so I decided on a trip to Callander and a walk up this TuMP taking in Queen Victoria's Cairn. Ben was left in the house where he quite happily sleeps on my bed while I'm away so I had 5 hours for the drive there and back plus the walk. I parked in the Callander Crags car park and followed the red route as far as the top of the crags through pleasant mixed woodland. The path was steep in places especially near the top of the crags where there was a stone staircase. Passing the crags.....
 
 
At the top of the steps I turned right for a short detour to the cairn. It was erected in 1897 by local man Malcolm Ferguson to mark the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria and is a fine vantage point. Approaching the cairn.....
 
 
Looking west to Loch Venacher.....
 
 
Looking down on Callander.....
 
 
The cairn is apparently not at the highest point of Druim Mor, there is a higher point to the north, across some rough ground. This is looking at it from the cairn; it is said to be on the middle hump of the higher ground in the centre of this picture; the height difference is 1 metre although it looked to be lower than the cairn from where I was standing.....
 
 
 I was in two minds about heading over as I had to cross a couple of deer fences which were built in such a way as to deter anyone thinking of climbing them. However I spotted a gate not far from the cairn so set off hoping to find a similar way of passage when I reached the second fence. And I did, result! The ground was very dry so it didn't take long to get to the high point which still seemed to be lower that the cairn. It was however a nice viewpoint for the higher hills. Ben Ledi.....
 
 
and Stuc a'Chroin and Ben Vorlich.....
 
 
Back at the cairn, I decided to complete the red route- a much longer way back to the car park but pleasant, apart from the heat. And I was back with Ben 4.5 hours after leaving him.

No comments: