Thursday 9 March 2017

Craigmore, another little hill with a big view

9 March 2017
 
Participants: Neil and Ben
Where: Craigmore, 387m/1270', Tump, Map 57, NN 510020
 
I had often looked up at Craigmore from Aberfoyle and thought that it must be a hill with a good view.....
 
 
Today was the day that I found out. I parked in a lay-by on the Duke's Pass and walked back along the road for about 100 yards to a path which looked as though it would go up the hill. It did, a bit wet in places but perfectly pleasant walking. The sun was out, the temperature was touching double figures and spring definitely felt in the air. Spot Ben in this picture taken on the ascent.....
 
 
I was almost at the top before I got the view that I was looking for- along Loch Ard to the still snow covered Ben Lomond.....
 
 
 
There wasn't much of a cairn, just three stones, but then Craigmore is really just the eastern top of a long ridge that stretches all the way to Ben Venue. However with a drop of 40m to the next top along it qualifies as a Tump. Talking of Ben Venue, here it is behind Ben with Cruach Ardrain and Stobinian the snow covered hills beyond.....
 

The Duke's Pass and Ben Ledi.....


and east to the Craig of Monievreckie and Beinn Dearg.....


Beyond Craigmore, the path disappeared and the going looked exceptionally rough. So I didn't bother; I doubt if the views would have been much better until well along the ridge.

Another good day but I now need to find some new bigger hills; the next 3 months are usually the best hill walking months of the year.

1 comment:

blueskyscotland said...

Nice set of photos Neil,
Yep, I always look forward to the next three months- best time of the year for me.