Friday 24 March 2017

A visit to Fife and Dollar- Craigluscar Hill and Law Hill

24 March 2017
 
Participants: Neil and Ben
Where: Craigluscar Hill, 228m/748' (Tump) ), OS 58, NT 059 909 and Law Hill (Dollar), 202m/663', Tump, OS 58, NS 976 992
 
There was a lot of high level cloud about which made it a poor day for photography. However, after an overnight frost, it felt very spring like so it was a day to be out and about. I lived in Dunfermline for a short while when I was a kid and I remembered Craigluscar as somewhere I used to cycle to. Whether I had ever climbed Craigluscar Hill I couldn't remember but I guess that I probably had. I don't know why I decided to have another look- probably because it was now on a hill list- but anyway I did. Although small in height, it has a bit of crag about it.....
 
 
It was also the site of a hill fort, although if there hadn't been a history board I would never have guessed.....
 
 
I remembered the hill as being a bit of a green mound but now it has a community woodland on it's south facing slopes. It was pleasant woodland especially as the buds were starting to appear on some of the trees. I also saw my first skylark of the year and a brightly coloured Bullfinch. I went to the west top to get a view along the crags.....
 
 
There was a nice network of grassy paths running along the ridge; this is looking in a westerly direction......
 
The highest point isn't marked but it looked as though it is on the middle top somewhere. Good views of Saline Hill and Knock Hill to the north.....
 
 
and across Craigluscar Loch (a nature reserve) to the river Forth and the Pentlands.....
 
 
The day was still young so I decided to travel home via the Hillfoots. There was another community woodland marked on the map just east of Dollar reached by the narrow back road so I headed there. It's highest point was also a Tump- Law Hill- and I thought that there might be a good view of some of the higher Ochil hills from there. It's top was quite distinctive, a small strand of old pines.....
 
 
This woodland was nothing like as pleasant as the other one. While there were some deciduous trees most of it was planted spruce. The paths were also very muddy, this looks as though it is a popular dog walking area. And talking of dogs.....
 
 
The path crossed a small stream, then a style over a fence, and the top was in sight, reached about 10 minutes after leaving the car.....
 
 
The highest point was somewhere in the clump of trees.....
 
 
there was a reasonable view of King's Seat Hill above Dollar.....
 
 
and Knock Hill and Saline Hill appeared again, this time to the south.....
 
 
I'm quite enjoying these small hills, but getting impatient for a settled spell of weather lasting a few days at least so that I can get up north.
 

2 comments:

blueskyscotland said...

Really feels like spring has arrived this weekend. Full daffodil displays in all the parks, bumble bees out, blackthorn and apple blossom just starting. Hopefully it's a good one this year.

Russell said...

I hadn't heard of Craigluscar until I read your description, Neil. Went up it yesterday on my way from Stirling to St Andrews. Nice wee hill and ideal for a wet morning. Thanks for pointing it out.