Sunday 22 September 2024

South-west Scotland 3- The Mull of Galloway

 17 September 2024.

Where: The Mull of Galloway, the most southerly point of the Scottish mainland, 85m/279', P 63m, Tump, OS 82, NX 157 304

I couldn't have wished for a better weather day for my visit to the Mull, the only slight downside was a sea haze which prevented views of Northern Ireland and Cumbria. The geography of the Mull itself is best seen from the approach road.....


There is a large car park at the lighthouse and an excellent visitor centre and cafe. Also an obligatory signpost and information about the Mull.....


I started my visit however by walking north from the lighthouse along the cliff tops. 



Although there were lots of visitors, I seemed to be the only person doing the cliff walk. It was spectacular rounding several geos with unprotected drops to the sea below........





After about a mile I reached a field with a strange memorial in it- Kennedy's Cairn which was apparently constructed in the 1800's. It was used for trapping ravens and is named after the local game keeper.....


Although I couldn't see much out to sea, the Isle of Man put in an appearance from time to time through the sea fog.....

I returned by the same route with the lighthouse now in full view ahead.....



Unfortunately, the lighthouse is only open to visitors at weekends at this time of year but there is an excellent exhibition so I took in that. Of special interest is the foghorn which is reached by descending a long flight of steps. Although now not in operational use, it is kept in working order.....



After visiting the exhibition and the foghorn, I decided that I had better visit the Tump top! It is on a mound to the east of the lighthouse and shares the area with a couple of water tanks.....



A visit to the cafe and shop rounded off what had been an excellent day out. Now I will have to visit the other extreme points of the mainland, Duncansby Head, Dunnet Head and Ardnamurchan Point.





No comments: