Saturday 21 January 2023

A great start to a new year, Goldenberry Hill (West Kilbride)

 20 January 2023

Participants: Just me

Where: Goldenberry Hill, 140m/459', P 122m, Hump, OS 63, NS 183 503

A hospital stay between Christmas and New Year and lounging about recovering did nothing for my fitness. However, a week of  good weather which enabled me to do a walk each day was gradually restoring what remains of my hill fitness. This was the forecast final day of the cold, clear weather so I just had to get out and take advantage of it. Goldenberry Hill was on my list of "to do" hills because of its situation on the Clyde coast and I reckoned that it would be ideal, not too long or steep. I parked in the big car park at Portencross Castle from where there was a great view of the snow covered peaks of Arran.....


I walked back along the road to the hill track which went through Ardneil farm and continued all the way to the summit.....

The views from the summit were outstanding, ignoring the telephone mast at the summit and the old nuclear plant at Hunterston below! Looking to Arran .....

to Little Cumbrae.....

to Cumbrae and Millport.....

There was a trig and a large cairn, with the actual high point somewhere in between. Kaim Hill is in the background......

Some more summit views.....



A great place to sit and have my lunch before descending the same way. A final photo of Portencross castle with Little Cumbrae in the background.....




No comments: