Thursday 7 July 2022

Aberdeenshire Tumps and Humps Days 2 and 3

 1 and 2 July 2022

Where: Elrick Hill, 202/663, P 54m, Tump, OS 38, NJ 848 102

            Hill of Kinellor, 155/509, P 63m, Tump, OS 38, NJ 819 132

            Gillahill, 183/600, P 31m, OS 38, NJ 873 067

I had intended to climb Tyrebagger Hill north of Westhill but the forest and car parks were closed as a result of storm damage last winter. I had already climbed Brimmond Hill. But there was another Tump between the two, Elrick Hill so I headed for that. The start point on the south side of the hill was a small and dark car park at the foot of a rough track. The hill before descending to the car park.....


A flight of steps led up from the car park and on to a path which led up the hill. Looking back at Brimmond Hill.....

Higher up I reached an old picnic area, there was a lot of wind damage to the forest here and it wasn't possible to determine exactly where the high point was; I thought that it was here.....

.

Brimmond Hill from the summit.....



Despite the lush vegetation there were some views to the south-west, this is to the Grampians with Kerloch the prominent hill (I have an app on my phone which identifies hills seen from any point- very useful).....

Back down the same way and a short drive to Blackburn for the Hill of Kinellor. This is another hill where housing has encroached but again it provided an easy route on to the hill. I liked this one, a nice forest area with some views. The high point is a pile of stones on the north side of the path.....

and there was a view to the Mither Tap.....

I continued my walk along the spine of the hill and back again, there was a road at the other end and a small car park.

The following day promised rain but not until later in the morning so I set off early for Gillahill. Parking for this one was at a small shopping centre in Kingswood. There was a good path through a wood and a gate into a field on reaching the hill proper.....

An open gate led to another field containing the high point which was beside a wall.....

The rain arrived as I left the top.


No comments: