Wednesday 23 June 2021

Dunglass and an add on to the Thomas Muir Heritage Trail

22 June 2021

Participants: Just me

Where: Dunglass, 153m/502', P 50m, Tump, OS 64, NS 576 789

I walked the Thomas Muir Heritage Trail in stages earlier this year and reckoned that continuing on to Strathblane, again on the route of the old railway line would be worth doing. So yesterday I did that and climbed Dunglass again as it was there! I wasn't disappointed, it was a nice walk in open countryside and Dunglass is a brilliant viewpoint. This is a much longer route to the hill than that from Strathblane to the west, which is how I did it before and as I was using the bus, I had to retrace my steps as well!

I joined the walk mid way between Lennoxtown and Clachan of Campsie, getting off the bus at a roundabout and junction to a relatively new estate. The start of the track, with Dunglass just visible in the distance (the pointed hill left of centre).....

Some photos of the walk along the track, with views back to Lairs/Cort ma Law in the main Campsie Fells.....





Dunglass appears ahead.....


I arrived at the foot of Dunglass just as the farmer was removing some cows and calves from the field for some sort of branding. It was to be a quick task and I wanted to be back down before they were released back into the field again. I almost made it but by circling round some higher ground I managed to avoid them on the way down. Dunglass close up.....

It is a magnificent view point. Looking east down the valley towards Lairs/Cort ma Law.....

Looking over Strathblane with the hills around Loch Lomond just visible......

Looking to the Kilpatrick Hills.....

Looking to the main Campsie Fells.....

It is well worth doing this walk either on its own or as an add-on to the Thomas Muir Trail or on its own even if Dunglass is not included.


No comments: