Sunday 30 August 2020

Creag na Gaoith (Crieff)

29 August 2020

Participants: Just me

Where: Creag na Gaoith, 159m/523', P 87m, Tump, OS 52, NN 830 221

There are a group of three Tumps west of Crieff and north of the River Earn, I had climbed two of them before but the middle of the three, Creag na Gaoith had still to be bagged. The shortest route was from the north but I decided to take the longer route starting at McCrostie Park in Crieff and following a good track alongside the river Earn. This included Lady Mary's Walk, a beautiful stretch of countryside through an avenue of trees with occasional views south to the Marilyn, Torlum. I had set off from home early as the best of the weather was promised in the morning and it certainly lived up to that forecast.....




After the river bank walk, I joined another path which took me uphill to the col between Creag na Gaoith and its eastern neighbour, Laggan Hill. The trees on my objective today looked rather dense from here.....


Looking back to Torlum.....


This path then joined another running along the ridge from Laggan Hill (everything was well signposted) and I followed that to beneath my hill where I found that the trees were in fact widely spaced and easy to climb through. There was a good view west to Mor Bheinn from here.....


The climb was easy until just before the high point which was covered in head high ferns! It's in here somewhere.....


I returned by the same route, an excellent walk.

No comments: