Friday 1 November 2019

Kilpatrick Hills- The Slacks and Cochno Hill

28 October 2019
 
Participants: Neil and Ben
Where: The Kilpatrick Hills: The Slacks, 365m1,197', P 44m, Tump, OS 64, NS 467 752 and Cochno Hill, 348m/ 1,142', P 65m, Tump, OS 64, NS 483 756
 
I don't know why I've neglected to visit these hills before. They provide great walking conditions, great views, they are perfect for dog walking as there are no livestock and the are only 30-40 minutes drive from home. Today I also had the benefit of perfect walking weather, high pressure in October is a recipe for walking heaven!
 
I parked at the top of Cochno road at the start of the private road to the waterworks. The official car park further on along Cochno road didn't look very inviting and I wouldn't like to leave my car there unless I had to. The track in to the hills had a good surface and the incline up to Greenside reservoir was gradual....
 
 


I decided to climb the higher of the two hills- The Slacks- first so crossed the dam and followed the continuing path up the hill. Cochno Hill from the dam.....
 
 
There were great views back down to the reservoir and across it to Cochno Hill as I got higher.....
 
 
 
To the north I could see the only one of the Kilpatrick Hills that I had climbed previously- the Marilyn, Duncolm.....
 
 
The well engineered path meant that it didn't take long to reach the trig. Loch Humphrey, a popular walk in itself, was visible from here as well as the towns on the other side of the Firth of Clyde.....
 
 


It was great to have a seat and just admire the views. However, another hill called so we had to head back to the dam and pick up another path up Cochno Hill. This is a different sort of hill, much more grass and lots of humps and bumps. There was nothing to mark the highest point so I had to rely on Viewranger to show me that we had reached it. Duncolm was in view again and from this angle I could see Ben Lomond and other highland hills beyond..........
 
 
Yet another reservoir view from here, Jaw reservoir to the east with the Campsie Fells beyond.....
 
 
and a reasonable view of Greater Glasgow with Tinto on the horizon.....
 
 
We picked up another path on the way down which cut off a corner. Good hills, good weather, what more could I have asked for. Ben enjoyed it also.....
 
 

No comments: