Sunday 24 November 2019

Airngath Hill (Linlithgow)

18 November 2019

Participants: Just me
Where: Airngath Hill (Linlithgow), 171m/561', P 112m, Hump, OS 65, NT 003 791

This hill has been on my to do list for ages but as its slopes contain the West Lothian Golf Club I kept on putting it off until a hard winters day came along. I also wanted good visibility because it is a fine viewpoint overlooking the Forth estuary. Today was the day- a hard overnight frost followed by sparklingly clear atmosphere. There were a few golfers about but they were well away from the bit of the course I was interested in. As well as the views, the hill is notable for the Hope Monument, erected in memory of Brigadier Adrian Hope who was killed in 1858 during the Indian Mutiny.....




The high point of the hill seems to be on the first fairway although a bit further east looks as though it might also have a claim. I visited them both.....


After visiting the Monument and the high point, I walked round the edge of that part of the course to get the views over the Forth. Bo'ness and the Ochils.....


Grangemouth, Kincardine and the Stirling shire Hills.....



Grangemouth and the Campsie Fells.....


An excellent hill!




No comments: