Sunday 7 July 2019

Saline Hill

6 July 2019
 
Participants: Just me
Where: Saline Hill, 359m/1,178', P 104, HuMP, OS 58, NT 039 932
 
Saline Hill is one of two prominent HuMPs in west Fife the other being Knock Hill which I climbed last year. I approached from Steelend where there is a car park at the east end of the village, beside the Community Hall. A path of sorts goes behind the Hall, crosses the burn and follows fences along fields passing the remains of Killernie Castle. It then becomes a track passing Killernie Farm before reverting to a very rough path along field edges and through numerous gates. Eventually I reached an old quarry and I left the path here and headed up a track beside the quarry. This soon petered out on the north west slopes of the hill. This is not the shortest route but it is the least steep. The Ochil Hills came into view as I passed Killernie.....
 
 
and were in view as I climbed the slopes.....
 
 
The grass was a bit lush in places but otherwise it was a straightforward ascent and it didn't take too long till I was at the summit. Only problem there was the number of barbed wire fences. I couldn't see any need for them but as they were new somebody must think that they're worthwhile. The atmosphere was really clear so I could see a long way. To the east I could even make out North Berwick Law and the Bass Rock....
 
 
and in the other direction Ben Lomond beyond the Forth Valley.....
 
 
the Ochil Hills were of course prominent.....
 
 
Knock Hill was to the east.....
 
 
and to the north a number of TuMPs that I had still to visit.....
 
 
I returned by the same route.

No comments: