Monday 26 June 2017

A "new" Tump- Heronryhill

26 June 2017

Participants: Just me
Where: Heronryhill, 105m/344', Tump, OS 64, NS 695 737
 
I noticed on the Hill Bagging website a couple of weeks ago that a "new" Tump had been added to the list, a couple of miles from my house, So I just had to go and have a look! I must admit that this hill had not attracted my attention before, no doubt because it was really only a bit of high ground covered in trees. In fact, it didn't look like a hill at all. Nevertheless......
 
To make it even easier, there was a road running just to the west of it with space to park a car a few hundred yards from the start of a track that went through fields to communications masts not far from the highest point. This is the hill from the start of the track.....


The track had at one time continued past the masts but today it was completely grown over. Maybe its there in winter time. There was a faint path through the grass and I soon arrived at the summit area. Slightly covered in vegetation......
 
 
Much of the summit area is taken up by a small water board reservoir, now covered over and within a locked compound..... 


Apparently the highest point of the hill is just to the south of the compound, in amongst the rhododendrons. I'll take the Hill Bagging websites word for it.
 
Surprisingly, once clear of the vegetation on the summit area, the view over west central Scotland is quite good.....


So that was my curiosity assuaged, apart from one thing. Why is it called Heronryhill? 

No comments: